In the streets of the old Balakhna

Church of the Savior

Most of the landmarks Balakhna concentrated in the city center, near the bus station.

Sightseeing, you can start with the five-domed Church of the Savior (street Tupolev, 3), which can be seen from the bus station to the side of the Volga. This graceful five-domed Church of bunk, decorated with tiles (izrazets). From the west bell-tower with a roof in the form of a cone. The church was built in 1668 by means of the manufacturer and merchant salt, GE Dobrynin. In 1690 the church was severely damaged by fire and was rebuilt only in the 1702-1704 years.  Restoration work was carried out in the middle of the XX century.

Traveling south on Avenue Dzerzhinsky, we find ourselves to the Sovietskaya square. It is noteworthy historical buildings to central district of the city.

Along the city market, turning left, you can go to the city park and next to the embankment. At the site of the park until 1730 there was a fortress, built in 1536 by order of Helena Glinsky, mother Tsar Ivan the Terrible. The fortress was protected by landscaped barriers - Petrovskoe Lake and the river Netecha. Park to the site of the fortress was laid in 1825, but yet still visible traces of the ancient fort embankments. 

Monument to Kuzma MininOut on the promenade, you can enjoy not only the Volga, but the ensemble of monuments of the village of Nikolo-Pogost on the opposite bank. Savior Transfiguration Church longline type (1760) as though directed upward through a smooth transition from one form of of foundation tier to the next. Beside The baroque church of Vladimir (1788). Between the churches stands a huge, visible from afar the bell tower in the style of Russian classicism beginning of the XIX century. By the way, we draw your attention directly on the Volga. Opposite Balakhna Volga has a natural width of about 600 m and the normal flow rate: in other places the influence dams. 

Let us return to the Sovietskaya square. It is worth noting here stands a monument to Kuzma Minin - native Balakhna (sculptor B. Kolobov, 1943). It is worth noting here stands a monument to Kuzma Minin Russian patriot, who was born in Balakhna (sculptor B. Kolobov, 1943). It was originally installed in the square of Minin and Pozharsky in city Gorky (Nizhny Novgorod), and opened in the years Great Patriotic War. In the 1990's. sculpture was moved to their homeland of K. Minin and its place in Nizhny Novgorod, established a new monument of O. Komov.

Pokrovsky MonasterySouth of the area - the territory of the Pokrovsky Monastery (abolished in 1783 g), which is now being revived. Here is preserved a unique architectural monument - an octagonal hipped hipped-like tower  Church of St. Nicholas (1552) (Pioneerskaya str., 3). Это один из самых ранних зданий Нижний Новгород-Поволжье. St. Nicholas Church, the oldest building in Balakhna, and after the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin and throughout the region. About the time of its construction the inscription, which is preserved to white-stone block, which lays a substitute south portal. As often happened then was embedded in the foundation stone slab which has been harvested for gravestones, but something spoiled. At its field Slavic letters beautifully and confidently carved date "year 7060" - 1552 New Era. In this church, more than any other stone monuments of architecture of the XVI century hipped., maintained communication with a wooden hipped architecture. Rather remarkable form the drum head over a hipped , lined as a truncated pyramid with sloping edges inward.

Church of IntercessionThis feature is known in the northern wooden churches, but rarely seen in the stone churches. The church has emphasized the monumentality of the image, rigor and conciseness of the architectural language, the simplicity of its few details. Shater and St. Nicholas Church cupola covered with green glazed tiles, laid in the repair of 1719-1722 years. 1963-1965 years. 2009-2010. St. Nicholas Church was restored: the later accretions have been removed and attached, flat roof disassembled, separating the tent from the interior of the church.

Also interesting is standing next to St. Nicholas Church of the Intercession. It was built in the second half of XVII century. and was in steep-sided dome, which collapsed during a fire in 1680 and was replaced by a flat wooden ceiling with five decorative heads, trimmed with roofing iron. For a long time in the Church of Intercession (Prospect Revolutsii, 17) was placed museum. Exposure were natural, archaeological collections, the materials on the history of Balakhna crafts - lace-making, tile (izrazets) production, salt production, shipbuilding.

Trinity cemetery churchLet's walk down the Lenin street. Not far from the Pokrovsky monastery could be seen the dome of another monument of XVII century. - Church of the Nativity (1675) (Lenin str., 9). In the XVI-XVII centuries. this is where the convent Christmas, abolished in 1764. Its walls are traditionally broken up into three blades, each of which ends zakomara. Simple cylindrical drums completed the five cupolas helmet covered with bright green tiles. With its relatively small size of simple outlines Church of the Nativity impression calm grandeur, thanks in no small degree it contributes to contrast with the bulk of the plastically more developed, but small chapels. And in the church and the aisles are preserved iconostasis of XVIII century. Decorated with typical Baroque carvings.

Trinity cemetery church was built in 1784. The church is of the form based on the quadrangle octagonal tower is divided into two equal-width deck and covered by a cupola, decorative crowning dome. A very picturesque church leading to the brick gate with their little dome and tiled surfaces. Next to the church memorial, which opened in memory of those killed in the Great Patriotic War, people Balakhna. From Sovietskaya Square can make a trip to Pravdinsk. About 500 meters in this direction - the right one more monument to Kuzma Minin. After another 500 meters you can see the "House of Culture NiGRES" - an architectural complex built in the 1920s. At the bus stop "Kubentsovo" (after half a mile) - the left is visible Sretenskaya Church (1808), performed in the classical style.

Sretenskaya ChurchStone houses. Two stone houses, standing on both corners of the intersection of Lenin str. and the Revolutsii str. are very characteristic for the construction of the first half of the XIX century. Both is facing facades to the of the Revolutsii street. On the left - a two-story house with a center dedicated high side, with pilasters and a pediment Tuscan order. Right - one-storey house with basement, with a mezzanine. As was customary in those days, street facades are made of brick, and the side walls of the mezzanines to reduce the cost of construction made of wood.

 

 

Elena E. Latysheva
Senior Research Fellow of Balakhna' Complex of museums History and Art 

 P.S.: Sorry for my English. I would appreciate if you make the correct text. My email address isЭтот адрес электронной почты защищен от спам-ботов. У вас должен быть включен JavaScript для просмотра.

 

This article in Russian:
http://www.balamus.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:streem&catid=46:street&Itemid=70